Join now - be part of our community!

BATTERY PROBLEM

mau2000
Visitor

BATTERY PROBLEM

I have just bought (3 days) a VAIO VGN-SZ3HP/B with a battery model VGP-BPS2C. The technical reference of this battery model assure a life of 4:20h but after a full charge the Battery Icon show 2:50 h. (It is used in Stamina Mode). How it is possible? Battery or information software problem?

3 REPLIES 3
thorsten.a
Visitor

I've just bought the same model. My battery life disply says under XPSP2/WLAN/Stamina mode: 3h 10min, i.e. 190min. The 260min of the specification can probably be achieved when wlan is off and display is minimum and every device as DVD, memory adapter, bluetooth etc. will be off.

Perhaps it would had been better to buy the VGN-SZ2HP which has 320min battery life ... - too late. It seems that the CPU Intel T2300 consumes less energy than the T5600.

Thorsten

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mau2000 & Thorsten

Welcome to Club vaio

Here is a guide on how Sony determines the Battery Life for Vaio's.

However in normal use it's probably about half that time.. :slight_frown:

Sony also has a guide on how to maximize the battery life of a VAIO notebook , which you may find of interest.. :slight_smile:

thorsten.a
Visitor

Hi,
thanks, I know those documents already.

But in the meantime I found an energy consuming device which many people with high certainty will surely forget: the SD-card adapter card! Unplugging it means to increase battery life more than one hour.

By monitoring the energy consume in Watt with MobileMeter it can be shown that the adapter needs about 4W. Disabling every device (Maximum plus battery saving power scheme) without the adapter (but still using WLAN), and decreasing brightness to level 3 which is ok to work shows about 4h 30 min in Windows XP remaining battery lifetime. This is nearly the spec from Sony.

Even when audio, CDRom and Ethernet are not being deactivated, the remaining battery life is about 4h or more. So, everything is fine again.

Sony forgot to mention this in its document "Solution V00213". This solution states only that one should disable WLAN and decrease brightness. Not bad for the first step, but not enough. I got the idea to remove the adapter when I read the other document (how battery life is being measured) which states that all devices are switched off when battery life is being measured.
And who really wants to disable WLAN and audio in real life when not sitting in a train?

The only remaining drawback of this notebook is the annoying fan noise ...

Thorsten