Join now - be part of our community!

c1z/b sound problem (winmm wdm audio compatibility driver)

goldenvai80
Visitor

c1z/b sound problem (winmm wdm audio compatibility driver)

hello, today I have had audio problems. when i turned it on i had no sound at all and a quick check of device manager showed a yellow ! besides 'winmm wdm audio compatibility driver'.

Sounds and Audio Devices also said I had no sound card installed, yet device manager said the drivers were working fine.

I then uninstalled the winmm wdm audio compatibility driver, expecting windows to reinstall it on its restart but this did not happen. it did give me sound, and my sound card was recognised as being installed within the Sounds and Audio Devices screen but, the audio now sounded different than it used to. it was quite quiet and deep unless i had the volumes at maximum, something i had not needed to do previously.

anyway, to try and fix it, i removed the realtek audio drivers and reinstalled them from my c:\drivers folder in the hope that it would fix everything but it still sounds the same, quiet and just not as clear.

in device manager there is no mention of the winmm wdm audio compatibility driver at all, should there be? i had expected it to be reinstalled, as in the realtek folder within c:\drivers there is a wdm folder..there is no setup file though within this wdm folder

so i'm a little unsure what to do. any advice welcome!!

thank you

:slight_smile:

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi goldenvai80,

Welcome to Club Vaio, :slight_smile:

Have you tried a system restore (start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore ) to a point when your sound was working correctly..?

goldenvai80
Visitor

hello, sorry for taking so long to reply, i did a restore and all seems ok. thanks for the help :slight_smile:

happy new year