Join now - be part of our community!

Screen problems after Windows 7 upgrade

profile.country.en_GB.title
lamelfo
Visitor

Screen problems after Windows 7 upgrade

I have just installed Windows 7 home premium (pack 1) on to my sony VGC-LA2  uprading it from Vista.

Overall very successful except for start up.  When I turn the computer on, the screen shows the Vaio symbol and then the microsoft symbol, then it goes blank.  The computer does in fact start up and once I think it's complete, I have found that if I hit the power switch briefly, the computer goes to 'sleep', then on restarting the system starts up and the screen operates normally and already fired up and ready to go.

Any help or advice as to how I can obtain a normal start please?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

This sounds like a Graphics Driver problem.

What version of the nVidia driver do you have installed?  Did you update this for Windows 7?

:thinking:

mathewlisett
Visitor

2 things, realting to same thing.

if i read this correctly, at times when you boot up as soon as the windows 7 logo comes and goes, the screen then goes blank.

and when it does decide to do a full reboot and gets into the desktop area and you press the power button slightly the screen goes blank, and you press it agaian and the system coems back to life.

well, the power button thing is normal 100%, its a function to save power and this can be alterated in the power savings in the display properties., you can also wake the screen up by pressing a key or swipping the finger across the keypad.

now with the screen goign blank straight away after the logo, ...now since i dont know if this happens when you dont have the laptop pluged into the mains or when its runnignf rom its own battery.

if its the battery, then i would state that either you have used up all the power and it simply and safety goes to sleep untill you plug it inot the mains to power up.

if how ever its just been fully powered and still does it, thats uggests to me that the battery is failing.

what you would normally do is whats called a depleatign the battery, ie make the battery go severly dead , fully charge it, make it go dead again (do this like several times) and then do a full charge and it normal solves many battery issues.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

mathewlisett wrote:

now with the screen goign blank straight away after the logo, ...now since i dont know if this happens when you dont have the laptop pluged into the mains or when its runnignf rom its own battery.

if its the battery, then i would state that either you have used up all the power and it simply and safety goes to sleep untill you plug it inot the mains to power up.

if how ever its just been fully powered and still does it, thats uggests to me that the battery is failing.

what you would normally do is whats called a depleatign the battery, ie make the battery go severly dead , fully charge it, make it go dead again (do this like several times) and then do a full charge and it normal solves many battery issues.

Interesting.....

When did Sony start fitting batteries to All-in One Desktops? Apart from the keyboard and mouse that is.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
mathewlisett
Visitor

oops my bad, i just asnwert the questions still thinking they are all laptop related.

how ever sayig this, in every system fro mlaptop to pc, you also still have a battery on the motherboard so that itself could have issues.

and also the all in one systems have a psu, which if faulty wont deliver enough power, and therefore will go on sleep mode or even shut down

especially if the graphics ie the screen goes, it means the on board graphic or the graphics gpu isnt getting enough power to it

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

mathewlisett wrote:

oops my bad, i just asnwert the questions still thinking they are all laptop related.

how ever sayig this, in every system fro mlaptop to pc, you also still have a battery on the motherboard so that itself could have issues.

and also the all in one systems have a psu, which if faulty wont deliver enough power, and therefore will go on sleep mode or even shut down

especially if the graphics ie the screen goes, it means the on board graphic or the graphics gpu isnt getting enough power to it

The CMOS battery would have no bearing on the problem reported by the OP. The sole purpose of this battery is to maintain power to the Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor thus maintaining information about the system configuration.

The Sony All-in-One desktops do not have a PSU as DC power is delivered from the power adaptor.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat