Join now - be part of our community!

Fragile screen

sijohng
Visitor

Fragile screen

I have a Sony VGN-SZ2XP, which is very light but I have found the screen to be far too fragile during transportation.

The edge of the keyboard has scratched the screen whilst it has been in my computer back pack. The keys have also left a mark on the screen and now smudges have appeared under the surface of the screen, which look permanent.

Just today I got my laptop out of its bag and a straight line of pixels have appeared on the screen, going from top to bottom.

Now this has got to a stage where I am going to have to replace the screen but I am worried that the same thing is going to happen again.

Is it better to get a new more sturdy laptop or is there some precautions I can put in place to separate the screen from the keys and raised edges?

BTW I have not been careless whilst transporting and the laptop has been put in a padded compartment in the backpack. I have only had it 6 months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my first laptop.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi sijohng. Happy New Year to you.

As you have not treated your Vaio carelessly (laptops are meant to be portable), I would phone VAIO-LINK on Tuesday and ask them to repair it under warranty.

It is a manufacturing fault if the keyboard damages the display during normal usage. I would also ask for a fresh guarantee for the display in case the same thing happens.

Others have noticed that the keyboard is too close to the screen so it must be a known fault. Do be persistent but polite and ask to speak to a supervisor if someone tries to say it is your fault.

:wink:

sijohng
Visitor

Happy New Year to you too Blencogo!

Thanks for the help I appreciate the advice and will contact Vaio Link about the screen. :slight_smile:

Yonaz
Visitor

I have the same freaking problem.

The marks on my notebook are not very big and hardly shows when the computer is on but it's crap anyway!
This is supposed to be a "state of the art" machine but with a scrambling battery, fan-noisy and God knows everything else the conclusion is that it's a very high priced piece of junk.

ALSO; the carbone on the outside gets really easy nasty scratches and looks by now quite ugly.

My VGN-SZ2VP is the worst piece of crap I have ever bought that costed aprox USD 4300.
I really regret I didn't buy the new MacPro instead, which I almost did... :cry:

marzipan99
Visitor

You're about the fourth poster to report this - Sony pay attention.

That being said, it is a design fault - the same thing will happen to a replacement screen.

My answer was to buy some tiny plastic feet and place them round the far edge of the screen - not the hinged side of course.

When closed it holds the screen off the keyboard/fascia enough to stop the worst of the marks, but I still get smudges from fingermarks transferred from the keys,especially the spacebar. There's also a slight scratch, caused I think by the sharp edge of the mousepad.

Other than that, I don't have fan noise problems or battery problems and I'm generally happy with the laptop.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I agree, it's not good at all